With the latest lockdown update revealing that from June 21st (at the earliest), weddings will have no limit on guests for the first time since last march, it’s safe to say we’re suddenly very excited at the prospect of summer weddings. But the excitement of summer weddings can be overshadowed by the stress of what do you wear to a summer wedding! With the weather, themes, venues and dress codes becoming influencing factors, there is often a lot to consider when choosing your perfect wedding guest dress.
We’re here to make outfit planning that little bit easier. We’ve rounded up some of our newest plus size dresses that are perfect for all sorts of weddings. From daytime smart-casual weddings, to formal evening events, we’ve got the dress for you. Unsure on where to even start with outfit planning? Check out our top tips below.
What To Wear To A Summer Wedding If You Are Plus Size
- Do Not Wear White – The number 1 rule of wedding guest attire. Avoid all white dresses at all costs! You don’t want to look like you’re trying to compete with the bride. Light and bright dresses are fab options for summer weddings, but just not white. The only exception to this rule is if the bride has asked you to wear white – it does happen!
- Consider The Theme – Has there been a theme disclosed on your wedding invite? Double check as you wouldn’t want to look out of place by not matching your outfit to the theme. Whether it’s a classic wedding, a country wedding or even a beach event, if you pick your outfit with the theme in mind you’ll look great no matter what. Maxi and midi dresses are great fail-safe dresses for curvier women, you can rely on them looking fabulous no matter the theme.
- Think Of The Venue – With certain venues, certain dress codes are expected. If it hasn’t been specified on your invite and you’re attending a more traditional venue you can assume your outfit will need to be on the more formal side. The same logic applies for a country wedding, maybe leave your favourite heels at home if you’re going to be walking through grass and stick to some comfy wedges.
- Look To The Dress Code For Inspiration – Dress codes tend to fall under formal, semi-formal and casual dress codes. Most daytime weddings tend to fall under the semi-formal category, whereas evening weddings tend to be more on the formal side. We’ve got a range of curve flattering evening dresses for you to check out. Casual weddings usually call for floaty dresses and swapping out your stilettos for heeled sandals. If you’re unsure where your outfit fits into this, remember it’s always better to be overdressed for a wedding than underdressed!
- Have Fun With Your Outfit – At the end of the day a wedding is a celebration! This is a perfect time to wear that dress you’ve been itching to wear since last year, go full out! You’re celebrating love and happiness, your outfit should be radiating this. If you feel as amazing as you look, you’re going to have a great time!
Keep reading to discover the latest and greatest plus size wedding dress guest dresses that we’re obsessing over…
Day Wedding Guest Dresses
A sleeveless maxi dress is must-have for a hot summer’s day wedding. The British weather can surprise us at the best of times with unexpected heatwaves and sweltering summers. If you’re worried about getting too hot, a sleeveless dress is a great dress option. With a super floaty skirt, glamorous floor sweeping length and metallic crochet detail this dress is perfect for a traditional wedding. The tie waist detail helps to bring you in at the waist and flatter your curves in all the right places. Available in two summer-ready pastel shades, choose from mint green to pale pink to match the wedding theme.
For a dress that oozes elegance, look to this angel sleeve maxi dress. Super floaty and flattering, this dress is an ideal wedding guest dress. The lightweight angel sleeves are giving us a bohemian vibe, we can picture this dress at a country wedding for sure. The v-neckline and overlay is perfect for flattering those with bigger busts. Choose between baby blue or pale pink and style with nude heels and subtle sparkly accessories for a look you’ll be loving all day and night.
Evening Wedding Guest Dresses
Look to this floral wrap dress for an evening appropriate wedding guest look. This dress can take you from day to night in an instant. With a flattering v-neckline and floaty angel sleeves, this dresses serves sophistication. The delicate floral print of this dress gives it a formal finish, but the pastel colourway bring it into summer styling with ease. Style with your favourite comfortable strappy heels so you can dance the night away in style.
For glamorous plus size evening dresses, look to Yours London. This pink floral shift dress is perfect for an all-night wedding party. Featuring a flattering scoop neckline with long sleeves and an all-over bold print, this dress styled with gold details will have you looking fabulous at any evening wedding this summer.
Plus Size Mother Of Bride Dresses
As the mother of the bride or groom, you’re going to be playing a big part at the wedding! You’ll be featuring in lots of photos so you’ve got to make sure you’ve got a dress to impress. This navy maxi dress is a classic dress that would be perfect for a mother of the bride. Featuring flattering short sleeves, a elegant floor sweeping skirt and a timeless lace overlay, this maxi dress is a must-have for any mother of the bride or groom. Complete your look with a comfortable pair of block heels and jewellery.
Not a fan of a floor sweeping gown? Look to this floral midi wrap dress for an more modern mother of the bride outfit. Wrap dresses show off your curves in all the right places. If you’re attending a less traditional wedding, why not take your look to the next level with this flattering knee length printed dress. Florals are a must-have for summer, this dress makes florals formal and ideal for an evening wedding look.
Polish Off Your Look With The Perfect Pair Of Heels
A summer wedding is the perfect opportunity to bring your heels out of hiding and debut them on the dancefloor. We are a little out of practice with wearing heels, so if you’re worried about your feet hurting be sure to opt for a comfortable heeled sandal with a block heel. If you’ve been waiting for this moment for a long time, why not try out our on-trend quilted mule heels? If you are after all-day support from your heels, look to our strappy pairs. Neutral shoes are a must-have for wedding guest styling.
Make sure to show us all of your wedding guest outfits this summer! Use the hashtag #ThisIsYours over on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter and you might even get featured!